Here it is…my 100th post! I almost don’t believe I have actually written 100 posts. In celebration of the event, we should have a cyber-party! What would a party be without prizes?
Recently, Mother Earth News revamped their website and is now including daily articles. The other day, while looking for ideas about alternative tomato cages, my search ended with the article, “Do-It-Yourself Tomato Cages” at Mother Earth.
So, I have decided to place all of the names of people who comment on this post into a drawing for the gift of a subscription of “Mother Earth News”. The contest begins immediately and will end at midnight on Monday, June 16th.
Would you like your name entered for the drawing twice? Just mention me on your blog, with a link back to the 100th post, and I will enter your name in the drawing twice. Just let me know by sending me an email or by mentioning it in your comment. Thanks everyone!
Wanna’ know how I know it? Because I just planted 20 pepper plants, 2 more tomato plants, 2 eggplants, watermelon, squash, brocolli, dill, asparagus, beans, and morning glories…THAT’S WHY! LOL! It never fails. These are in the ground, so I won’t be able to put them all up on the porch this time if it does decide to hail.
I am not certan where this day went. One moment it was morning and now it is evening…and I have no clue what happened in between. I did run to the greenhouse in Mullinville and bought several vegetable plants. When you buy 20 or more they are only .65. One thing interesting, I was able to drive 58 mph most of the way to and from Mullinville and I got 31-33 mpg. I was pretty happy.
Well, not much exciting to report for the day. I am just sitting here eating a salad that I made from store purchased produce, except for the alfalfa sprouts that I sprouted myself and the 4 spinach leaves I “harvested”. That was a little exciting to me. I think I have decided that I prefer the alfalfa sprouts over some of the other types I have tried these past few weeks.
Not much else going on here, just thinking I am a bit tired and may head for the bed a bit earlier tonight.
As I mentioned before, we had a business trip and unofficial college visit planned two weeks ago. I didn’t feel comfortable leaving the plant lights on in the basement, nor to set them on a timer. Instead, we moved all the plants upstairs near windows. Just thought I would share a couple of more photos.
The other day, a friend and I were talking about how we wish we had a community garden here in our small town. Maybe with a little activism, we could rally other organic gardeners in our small town.
I just found this video of an amazing community garden in Australia.
Normally, it is the grass in my “garden” that annoys me the most, but this season the weeds have taken over also. Every year DH suggests placing weed barrier down and planting in little holes, but I have refused. This year is different! Last week, I read an article about soil testing and ammendments that suggested if you live in an older house your soil most likely is contaminated with lead from paint chips falling from your house. YIKES!
If you have read any of my other blog entries about the house, you may already know that even our soil has a chemical odor to it….so this is yet another catostrophe for us. If money were no object living in this very old house would be no problem, but we are poor civil servants on moderate wages. Well, DH is on moderate wages….I am purposefully unemployed as you may also remember. Even if I WAS employed the money still would not be there to do what needs to be done to this house. If money grew on trees, I would have someone come in and remove the top several feet of soil around the house…lol…and replace it with totally organic compost. Since Donald Trump is definitely not interested in my small piece of real estate, nor the Rockefellers knocking on my door, I have to continue my cobbled life.
I decided to cover the ground surrounding my one raised bed with weed barrier. Sadly, I had to dig up the few perrenial herbs that I had established , in hopes to replant somehow, somewhere. I am not certain why I am sad…I never used the herbs in cooking for fear of what was in the soil, but they were lovely…well, that is until the grass and weeds were coming up through the clumps of herbs. It wouldn’t be difficult to radicate if the yuk was coming up around the plants, but grass was coming straight up the middle. Anyhow, because of the fear of what the soil my bring, I have decided to plant my tomatoes in buckets on top of the barrier.
Yesterday was a very windy day (Duh!….it IS Kansas….every day is windy), but we finally finished covering the larger portion of the small area. Placing the barrier down is not a difficult task, but we also had to dig a small trench to allow for proper water drainage. Originally, the plan was to construct a type of dry river bed that would allow proper drainage away from the house when the “monsoons” came. In the past, we have had a problem with water standing near the foundation of our home…not good when you have a basement.
I hope to get some photos posted soon, and I am kicking myself that I didn’t take photos prior to adding the weed barrier.